13 May 2009

PUTTANESCApe plan into action, I need to get the hell out of here...

Noodle-based meal: Spasagna (think spaghetti casserole served like lasagna)

While not quite puttanesca, spasagna is similar in that it was a quick, simple, albeit sloppy meal to draw me in to a local "casual dining" restaurant. Wikipedia says it best:

"According to chef Jeff Smith of the Frugal Gourmet, its name came from the fact that it was a quick, cheap meal that prostitutes could prepare between customers."

Yes, that amalgamation of spaghetti and lasagna is akin to the tomato, capers and olive concoction designed to entice men into partaking the troves of sloppy seconds available at the local brothel.

I had originally intended for this post to be about my recent attitude towards work. I mean, seriously, I get in, I get out, make a quick and dirty job of it, then get the hell out of there. But then that would force me to compare the office to a brothel, and trust me, it's not that fun (although the amount of HR-inappropriate conversations would prove otherwise; pronounced "fuzzy nuts"). The more I think about it, my current musing may not be as great for this post either. How about this one-liner?

The Mavericks in this 2nd round Western Conference Playoffs can best be described as sloppy and eager to get out of it.

Come to think of it, my enjoyment of this year's 40 games in 40 nights has been hampered by the all around farce this series has been for me. The Mavs (at times) played like uninspired prostitutes; the refs were no less than sloppy; the fouls called (both flagrant and technical) were cheap; and poor ol' me was and is repeatedly enticed into staying up late watching every PDT-oriented basketball game. Begrudgingly, I say that Denver seems to be the only pristine cog in this friggin' machine: they are nearly flawless with their execution, and as a Mavs fan, it hurts to see a team on top of their game. Denver deserves the accolades for this round, no matter how much I want to bitch and moan about the no-call in game 3.

But after all that I've written, I will still maintain that olives and capers are a delicious combination - with and without the prostitutes.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Thanks for adding my wine blog on yours! I am glad you like it! I will add you on mine as well! I really like you blog, very fresh take on the food world! Very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete